Monday, February 21, 2005

On Nathaniel.



My Son's name is Nathaniel. Family name from my wife's side.

Nathaniel for Nathaniel Bowditch, my wife's mother's greatx5 Grandfather. It was a maternal line down to her.

Besides that, I like the name. Nathaniel. Not Nat, Not Nathan.

His middle name is Kepoikai. Family name on my side.

Means "power of the crashing wave" or power of the ocean swell" There was some discord among my family when we named him this. The second choice was Maniakalani which means "The Fishook of Mau'i"

....and while that is eloquent, somehow, inexplicably, Kepoikai would not go away from our minds.

Nathaniel Kepoikai Meyer.

A name made up of one of the great captains of american seafaring history, Nathaniel Bowditch, and combined with the ocean lineage of one of the great ancient navigating peoples. Of which we are part.

For a reason.



Someday we'll get back to the ocean. Someday.

No comments: